Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois Offers New Fitness Program to Support Members’ Wellness Efforts
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) is offering the Fitness Program as the newest value-added health and wellness option. The Fitness Program is an exclusive membership program that offers unlimited access to a nationwide network of fitness centers for a low monthly membership fee.
- Group Markets: As a new feature of Blue Care Connection®, the Fitness Program is now available to all group plan members (age 18 and older) who have Blue Care Connection. There is no additional cost to the employer or to the member’s premium for taking advantage of the Fitness Program.
- Individual Markets: The Fitness Program is available to all members (age 18 and older) with Individual Markets health care benefit plans, both Under 65 and Over 65.2 There is no additional premium cost to the member for the Fitness Program. (Under 65 Individual Members in the BCBSIL High Risk Pool may also participate in the program. Over 65 members with Part D coverage only are not eligible for this program.) Promotional postcards were mailed to individual members ages 18-55 and Over 55 at the end of 2009.
The Fitness Program offers:
- A one-time $29 enrollment fee and $29 monthly dues
- No long-term contracts with a flexible month-to-month membership
- Access to a nationwide network of popular fitness clubs, such as Bally’s Total Fitness, 24-Hour Fitness and participating YMCAs
- The option to work out close to home or work, near friends and family, or while traveling
- Easy online registration process through Blue Access® for Members
- Automatic direct billing through a major credit card or bank account
- Online fitness center location search, account management and customer service features
- Group Markets members and Individual Markets Under 65 members earn Blue PointsSM for joining the program and working out. [Note: Blue Points do not apply to Illinois Comprehensive Health Insurance Plan (ICHIP) members and Over 65 Medicare Supplement (Individual) members.]
- Tracking to earn Blue Points without self reporting. Fitness center visits are tracked via the membership card.
Enrolling is quick and easy. Members will be able to log in to their Blue Access® for Members account, click the My Health tab to find the Fitness Program button and use that link to search for participating locations and to complete their enrollment. Or, members can enroll by calling Customer Service at 888-762-BLUE (2583). The Fitness Program is available to members in addition to other fitness discounts available through the BlueExtras program.