UnitedHealthOne Golden Rule – Short Term Medical Plans
Short Term Medical Plans are health plans designed to bridge the gap for individuals and families in times of transition:
- A new graduate that can no longer be on their parent’s insurance
- In-between jobs
- Waiting for benefits to begin at a new job
- Early retirees waiting for Medicare
- As temporary alternative to COBRA insurance2
Because we know that life can change quickly, our short term health insurance plans give you the flexibility to drop your coverage at any time without penalty; or apply for another term of coverage. Based on your needs, you can select the length of time (1 to 11 months in several states) and from several available deductible amounts.
With our temporary insurance plans, you can choose from a broad range of deductibles and payment options. Short term insurance is usually more affordable than traditional individual health insurance plans. Take a few minutes to check out our short term insurance quotes and see for yourself! Don’t forget to explore our prescription drug discount cards and prescription drug copay coverage, too. Check out our three options:
Short Term MedicalSM Copay
Mike has been let go from his job and is actively looking for a new one. He’s not interested in paying as much for COBRA health insurance, but he depends on monthly prescriptions and visits his doctor multiple times a year. Mike chose this plan because it’s like the traditional copay plan he had with his previous job.4
- $35 in-network doctor office visit5
- Prescription drug copay coverage6
- Deductibles from $500 to $10,000 per term; after deductible is met we pay 80% of covered expenses up to $20,000, then we pay 100% of covered expenses after that
- $4,000 Coinsurance out-of-pocket maximum per term
Short Term MedicalSM Plus
Brent is a Plus plan customer. He’s a single father now, responsible for his little girl. With the Plus plan, he knows what out-of-pocket experiences he’ll be responsible for ahead of time – which is good, because fairyland tea parties don’t always come cheap!4
- Offers more coverage than Value plan
- Great for those who seek predictable out-of-pocket expenses
- Deductibles from $500 to $10,000 per term; after deductible is met we pay 80% of covered expenses up to $10,000, then we pay 100% of covered expenses after that
- $2,000 Coinsurance out-of-pocket maximum per term
Short Term MedicalSM Value
Tanya has the Value plan. She loves soccer and knows accidents happen, no matter how much game you’ve got. She’s just graduated from college and wants coverage until she finds a job, but doesn’t want to break her bank account either.4
- Costs less than our Copay and Plus plans
- Deductible amount goes towards each illness or injury; not per term
- Deductibles from $500 to $5,000 per cause; after deductible is met we pay 80% of covered expenses up to $20,000, then we pay 100% of covered expenses after that
- $4,000 Coinsurance out-of-pocket maximum per cause
Interested in short term insurance quotes? Get a FREE short term insurance quote online now!
We also offer other health insurance plans with a variety of coverage at competitive prices.
Top Short Term Insurance Questions:
How soon can my short term health insurance start?
Applying online with a credit card will get you coverage in the least amount of time. If you choose to mail your application, upon approval the effective date is the later of your requested effective date or the day after the U.S. postmark.
Does a short term health insurance plan help cover the costs of prescription drugs?
Yes. With Short Term MedicalSM Plus you pay 20% after your deductible is met. With Short Term MedicalSM Value you may obtain RX drugs at an average savings of 20-25% which vary by pharmacy, drug, and area with a discount card. With Short Term MedicalSM Copay you pay $15 for Tier 1 drugs, $35 for Tier 2 drugs, $65 for Tier 3 drugs, and you pay 25% coinsurance for Tier 4 drugs. Tier 2-4 drugs have a combined $500 deductible per person, per term.
Do short term health insurance plans include dental and vision benefits?
No. Short term health insurance plans are designed to protect you in the event of an unexpected illness or injury and are not intended to cover dental and vision care. We do offer “stand-alone” dental and vision coverage in many states, which you can purchase separately from a temporary insurance plan.
Why would I want short term insurance coverage for a limited amount of time?
A short-term plan can help protect you during life-changing events. You may be a college student and following graduation you’re no longer eligible for your parent’s health plan and you’re looking for your first job or you’re laid off and looking for work. Maybe you’re an early retiree and waiting for Medicare eligibility.
How do I cancel my United Health Golden Rule Insurance Plan?
Call (800) 926-7602. Cancellation will be effective as of the date you call to cancel or the paid to date. If the cancellation date is prior to the paid to date, the unused portion of the premium will be refunded.