2012 Healthcare Reform Changes
A summary of health reform initiatives which become effective in 2012:
2012 Changes to Medicare
- Make Part D cost sharing for full benefit dual eligible beneficiaries receiving home and community based care services equal to the cost sharing for those who receive institutional care.
- Allow providers organized as accountable care organizations (ACOs) that voluntarily meet quality thresholds to share in the cost savings they achieve for the Medicare program.
- Reduce Medicare payments that would otherwise be made to hospitals by specified percentages to account for excess (preventable) hospital readmissions.
- Establish a hospital value based purchasing program in Medicare and develop plans to implement value based purchasing programs for skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies, and ambulatory surgical centers.
- Provide bonus payments to high quality Medicare Advantage plans.
- Reduce rebates for Medicare Advantage Programs
Health Care Reform 2012: Other Changes
- No other 2012 health care reforms are planned based upon the original law.